Re: display-properties: missing 8x5 resolutions xorg.conf i set at

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:57:42 +0100
correasilva portugalmail pt wrote:

> hi!
>
> I'm using Gnome-Control-Center from Ubuntu Linux 7.04
> I'm having difficulties about having 8x5 resolutions available (i'm
> using a MacBook) - the graphic board is an intel915 or something like
> The 8x5 resolutions usually are: 1280x800 (default), 1024x640,
> 800x500, 640x400 Well, after some help, i edited
> the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, just like:
>
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth		24
> 		Modes		"1280x800" "1024x640" "800x500"
> "640x400" EndSubSection
>
> hoping these 8x5 resolutions will appear in the
> gnome-display-properties, but the resolutions i have available there
> are not exactly what i changed on /etc/X11/xorg.conf   - where do
> gnome-display-properties reads the available resolutions?

It reads the available resolutions from xrandr and then does some
weird filtering. Try running xrandr from the terminal to see if your
resolutions are available.

> i'm also a little bit interested on having available the 4x3
> resolutions (like 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, 1280x960, etc.), but
> they appears annoying stretched, and i really only needed them with
> 1:1 aspect ratio, with those black borders at the side edges, just
> like MacOS-X does

I'm going to guess this is a feature not implemented somewhere (maybe
X or X drivers, I don't know).

> ---
>
> about workspaces: in a todo file from gnome-control-center, at going
> forward, at workspaces, a friend of me get missing different icons in
> each workspace for his usability - is this easy to implement as
> choice?

You'll have to re-phrase your questions, I don't quite understand what
you mean.

Regards,

Thomas