Re: Pluggable settings daemon

On 15.11.2007 20:12, Jens Granseuer wrote:
On 15.11.2007 19:29, William Jon McCann wrote:
> During the work on the GDM rewrite for 2.22 it became clear that we
> needed to run some kind of settings daemon in the greeter/login-window
> session.  At first I tried to use gnome-settings-daemon directly but
> this was problematic for a few reasons, including:
[...]
> So, I decided to create a pluggable settings daemon for GDM [2].  And
> then converted the gnome-settings-daemon's xsettings stuff into a
> plugin for it [3] since that was the only part that I needed right
> away.
>
> Do you think it makes sense to use this for both GDM and
> gnome-control-center?  Perhaps each session can simply specify which
> plugins should be loaded.  Where GDM will likely be a subset of a full
> GNOME session.

That would make a lot of sense, I think. If you look at the recent
discussions about integrating the functionality of the MouseTweaks
module [1] proposed for Gnome 2.22 on this list [2], gdm integration
looked like a major stumbling block. Being able to share settings
modules between gdm and g-s-d would solve that issue nicely.

I'll hopefully find some time to look at the code this weekend,
but could you give a short summary of what the differences between
the current g-s-d modules and your gdm module(s) are (and what
needs to be done to convert the current g-s-d modules)?

Now these are real footnotes...

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Mousetweaks/ModuleProposal
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomecc-list/2007-November/msg00029.html