Re: clipboard manager and autostart

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 14:24 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le mercredi 18 avril 2007, à 12:43 +0200, Rodrigo Moya a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > As part of the (slowly going so far) refactoring in g-s-d, I have been
> > thinking about the clipboard manager (clipboard-manager.[ch]). Does it
> > really make sense in g-s-d, or would it be better to have it as a
> > separate process that is autostarted?
> >
> > The problem I see in autostarting it is that users can disable it, and
> > we really want the clipboard manager to be running all the time.
>
> We could add a flag in the .desktop files for the autostart system to
> tell about services that shouldn't be disabled and displayed to the
> user. It's not exactly the same use case as lockdown, but another
> solution is to handle this kind of stuff as locked down services...

> Oh, and does it really matter if users disable it?

well, not really, except when a user disables it thinking it "might save
memory" or something, and copy/paste does not work as before.

> (I'm not saying we should move this to a separate process, btw, just
> giving an opinion on what we could do if you decide it's the right thing
> to do)

yeah, I'm not sure neither we want it as a separate process, so I'll
convert it to the new modules API and leave it there until we find a
better solution.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>