Re: Merging "Proxy" and "Network" applets

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 10:31 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 03:21 +0200, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> > There's a branch in g-s-t to make it use PolicyKit to authenticate, and,
> > if there's a more general adoption of it in the desktop, g-s-t will end
> > using it. besides other stuff, PolicyKit could allow to mix in the same
> > GUI protected (system) elements with non-protected (user) elements [1].
> > This way would allow the user to be always able to deal with user
> > settings, and unlock those protected elements if he requires it (and has
> > permissions, etc...).
> >
> someone suggested to me the other day to move the proxy settings to
> NetworkManager, and I'm starting to think it makes a lot of sense. NM
> provides the ability to manage your different network connections, and
> usually you want a proxy per connection, so why not put it there?

That's another solution to the same problem. network-admin approach is
to store a list of user-defined "locations", that's more conservative
but puts the user more in control of what she wants. NetworkManager
tries to manage it more automatically, with the disadvantage of being
much more specific in its scope (which interfaces does it configure,
etc...). It would certainly be a better world if both things could be
merged.

	Regards