Re: gnome desktop integration library

--- Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 10:50 -0500, Federico Mena
> Quintero wrote:
>
> > I think you and Havoc agree on everything,
> *except* for "what stuff can
> > GTK+ depend on?".
>
> To me, this question gets down to 'what is GTK+
> being designed for?'
>
> Right now, there are three major uses for GTK+:
>
> * the GNOME Desktop toolkit (rich desktop
> experience)
> * a cross-platform toolkit (LCD approach)
> * an embedded platform (pick-and-choose)
>
> Right now, GTK+ is walking a delicate balance
> between these three
> things.  There are some features that work in the
> first case, but not
> the other two (such as the proposed 'Open With...'
> dialog).  Since we
> can't quite resolve it or don't have the time to do
> the work to handle
> all worlds.

This is exactly the problem as I understood it with
the File Selector help button issue -- GTK is the
toolkit for GNOME, but its nature as a general toolkit
for apps on different platforms means that it's not
satisfying GNOME's requirements.

Forgive me if this is naive, but would it be possible
to have two layers, a general cross-platform toolkit,
and above it all the widgetry that we want for GNOME?
GTKSourceView seems to be a precedent for this.

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html