Re: merging applets

Hi Rodrigo,

Sounds like a good start ;)

Some comments below, to throw some fuel into the flames...

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
Hi

Since we didn't come to any conclusion at GUADEC, let's discuss it
there.

So, most people seem to agree on having less capplets, since the
Preferences menu is too crowded, and there is lots of confusion for the
users (like 3 keyboard applets).

So, here is the list of current capplets and my initial proposal for
merging them:

* about-me

How widely is this information used at the moment? Seems like it could/should be more widely used to provide defaults for the filling in of fields when creating accounts in apps like Gaim, Ekiga, Evolution, etc. But I guess that's another story.

* at-properties
* a11y keyboard, keyboard and keybindings: merge them in one single
Keyboard capplet

Sounds good to me, but see my comments below w.r.t. an Input Devices capplet....

* background, display, font, mouse?, theme switcher, ui-properties,
When you say display above - do you mean Screen Resolution?

Would it more more sense to link keyboard and mouse into "Input Devices" - leaving it open for non-mouse devices like wacom tablets, etc?

windows: merge them into a single 'Display' capplet
* default apps

Is there any intention of making this more extendible by allowing the easy addition of possible handlers by ISVs - from my understanding at the moment this requires that the gnome-default-applications.xml file needs modification directly - it would make more sense (to me) if this was achieved through a merge of several xml files, or something similar...

Also, would it be possible to extend the list of apps that a user might want to be able to express an interest in? e.g. Multimedia player - maybe it makes sense to link this with the file-types and mime-types as below (afterall isn't this what we're looking to do - decide what is the default application for a given mime-type / url or similar?)

* file types, mime-type

See above.

* localization

What is this? I've not seen it before...

* network, url-properties

What is url-properties? Is this referring to the proxy for the given url type (http/https/ftp, etc?)

* sound: add video device setup and call it Multimedia??

This makes a lot of sense to me. One concern is the possible confusion between Multimedia and the handling/playing of it - is this mime-type or default app, etc?

so, let's the discussion begin

And so it does ;)

Thanks,

Darren.