Re: [g-a-devel] Accessibility in Preferred Applications

George Kraft IV wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 13:33 +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
George, could we also add a direct launch button for each of these
apps? 'Launch now'. We will likely need to add that feature in Ubuntu
because we prefer to remove the pre-installed applications from the
Applications menu.

I think that feature enhancement would be up to the gnome control center
maintainers to add across Preferred Applications.

Hm, I'm not so sure it's relevant for other types of general applications in Preferred Applications. The other applications live there because they are extremely common, such as browser, email and terminal. Things that you would be likely to launch in many different ways. The browser and email app will typically have BOTH a menu item and a panel launch icon, so adding yet another option to launch it in Preferred Applications doesn't make sense.

The assistive tech apps on the other hand are quite rare (not for the people who use them, but in a default desktop context). In Ubuntu we install them by default because we want to remove the installation hurdle which can be high for some user groups. At the same time we don't want these features to get in the way for the 99%+ of users who don't need them. This is why we removed the menu entries for Orca and onBoard in the Applications menu and added launch buttons in the Assistive Technology Preferences window.

See screen shot: http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/at-prefs-6.10.png

Henrik