Re: gnome-control-center: Determine categories by .desktop category?

Denis Washington wrote:
Hi,

Looking into the gnome-control-center code, it seems to me that the
categories for the view are determined by the directroy structure inside
of the "Preferences" menu directory. Wouldn't it be more practical if
the category of a preferences item was determined by a category written
into the "Categories" property in the .desktop file?
gnome-mouse-properties, for instance, already has "HardwareSettings" in
it's Categories value; we could add more categories, like
"PersonalSettings" or "AccessibilitySettings", to the other .desktop
files. This way, the preference entries can still all stay in the same
menu directory, and the control center view would anyway be nicely
categorized.
Sounds like a good idea, especially for your revised control center shell. I think overall the screenshot you posted earlier shows something heading in the right direction, so keep up the good work! I hope we can create a few more categories (or re-categorise), such as AppearanceSettings for Background, Theme and Font capplets.

-Thomas