Re: [Nautilus-list] Wishlist item: One stop Firewall shopping in GNOME

On 01 Sep 2001 12:14:37 +0200, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Anyway I have allways wanted to be able to go into the GNOME Control
> Center and set my proxy firewall settings once and for all there.
>
> That way whenever I use Nautilus, one of the webbased panel applets or
> the new Elysium Downloader they will both a) have proxy firewall support
> and b) have it set. If this is implemtented I would think adding the
> configuration to the doorman druid would also be an idea.
>
> I would think that in order to get this proxy firewall support needs to
> get added to GNOME-vfs (and the applets ported to gnome-vfs). Of course
> it would be nice if it is implemented in a way which enabled
> non-gnome-vfs apps like Galeon to be able to retrieve those settings to,
> but I expect that should be easy since the info will be stored in GConf
> I presume.
>
> Something for GNOME 2?

I agree; this is a huge win, but not something that will be plausible
for all applications until GNOME 2, since not all of them use gnome-vfs
and gconf. Support for this at the gnome-vfs level would probably be the
right thing to do (and I think it's already there), and something that
could be installed as part of a general "GNOME desktop" schema file. I
would definitely add support for it in Red Carpet.

Joe