Re: control center plans, etc.

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 06:40:01AM +0800, Ian McKellar wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:30:28AM -0400, Alex Larsson wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> >
> > > Taking a bit from KDE, and given those new gnome-vfs plugins with SMB
> > > support, an SMB config capplet for them would be spiffy, too.
> >
> > For the gnome-vfs smb module no configuration is needed.
>
> Perhaps it would be cool to have a set of gnome-vfs "mounts" - basically a
> set of bookmarks that were accessible easilly from Nautilus and from the
> common file dialog.

Ya, that would rock.  It'd be nice if it'd be rolled into a standard
new GNOME file dialog, but I don't want to start *that* war again.  ~,^

> > > BTW, does gnome-vfs support the popping up of dialogs or whatnot when
> > > authentication is needed and not provided in the URI or application?
> >
> > Not yet, but it is being worked on.
>
> There is callback support that Mike Fleming implemented. The gnome-vfs side
> of this has gone in already, but we're waiting for Nautilus 1.0.4 to be spun
> before landing the Nautilus side.
>
> Perhaps it would be good to have default implementations of these callbacks /
> dialogs in libgnomeui?

Ya, I would think so.  It'd be a pain for every app to have to code
their own "Username, password" dialog.  That should have a default, if
not hard-coded (flexibility is good  ^,^)  and perhaps an automatic way
of saving authentication information with each URI in .gnome-private or
something, with a "Remember password" checkbox to turn off password
saving.  The default dialog should pop up with the last used username
pre-filled in.