Re: (g)LyX added to word processor list?

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, David Orme wrote:

> Svante Signell wrote:
>
> > A gtk version would be wonderful (gLyX). With a GPL'ed GUI tookit LyX can
> > be distributed by RedHat, Caldera, Debian, Suse, etc together with the
> > gnome environment. The people developing LyX are making it X-library
> > independent: http://www.devel.lyx.org/devel/gui-indep.html
>
> I thought I heard rumors of this once but maybe the project is defunct.  I
> personally have my hands full with gnome-filer, but think this would be a
> *wonderful* idea--at least until QT *really* becomes open source.
>

> Regards,
>
> Dave
>
> --
> David Orme                                       LINUX...
> david@coconut-palm-software.com          ...it already goes there
> http://www.coconut-palm-software.com               :-)
>

> --

A very good idea: i would like to have a glyx program too.
But well: porting it to gtk or gnome means that you will have a word
processor which relies on latex/tex... This would not integrate very
tightly in the gnome/component model.

I think (probably wrong but...) that someone (not me: too much work and
other projects) should first develop some kind of equation component for
the gnome component model (the greatest force in lyx is its ability to
build equations easily ). Then we would need an equation editor.
Lastly, i don't really know whether this is possible or not but, it would
be cool if we could implement a gnome-print-tex library. so that the tex
generated by glyx is send to the printer using the gonme-print interface.

Just some thoughts...

Mathieu Lacage
Snailmail: ch 224, 212 Rue de Tolbiac 75013 Paris
email: mathieu.lacage@email.enst.fr
url: http://www.stud.enst.fr/~lacage