[gnome-women] Please signal boost the Empowermentors Collective!

I'm working really hard on reaching out to other intersectionally marginalized POC to join the Empowermentors Collective! Here's a post and some pretty graphics I spent hours making to help spread the word:

Please signal boost the Empowermentors Collective!

Use these posters to share and spread the word.

On liberalism, assimilation, and multiculturalism:

We are not just another diversifySTEM™ organization aiming to integrate “minority" groups into the so-called “open source" community. We are creating our own space. We combine a critical passion for technology and digital media arts with our work towards POC empowerment, disability justice, decolonization, queer liberation, prison abolition, the destabilization of patriarchy, and other struggles we share.

Learn more and join us:

This is not a space for white allies. We do not (yet) have plans for such a space, but appreciate any support and help spreading the word!

Wiki page

http://freeculture.org/empowermentors
Mailing list

Chat room (#empowermentors on Freenode)

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=empowermentors
[[MORE]]

About us:

The Empowermentors Collective is a skillshare, activism, and discussion network for intersectionally marginalized people of color in the free culture and free software movement. We see radical potential in free culture and free software (often marketed as “open source software") to work against ableism, racism, cissexism, heterosexism, sexism, and classism.

We say “intersectionally marginalized" to refer to people of color who experience intersectionality, that is, the interactions of multiple systems of oppression. This means we are open to all people of color with disabilities, trans* people of color, queer people of color, women of color, class oppressed people of color, etc.

We are called Empowermentors because we focus on sharing knowledge and technical skills, producing free software and free media, and learning about and from each other. In this way we are being mentors for one another to empower ourselves.

Driving questions:

What dangers lie in private ownership over media and software as it concentrates power over technology & telecommunications?
How are race, gender, sexuality, class, and other cultural meanings coded into technology?
Does free culture necessarily topple or reproduce those in power?
Can we reconcile opposing both permission culture & cultural appropriation?
Why do movements aiming to represent everyone often leave out already marginalized groups?
Why does openness and meritocracy frequently lead to exclusion?
When does equal treatment ignore preexisting differences in power, privilege, & access?
Where do wefit into the free sotware & free culture community as queer people of color, women of color, POC with disabilities, etc. ?
Who does the free software & free culture movement fight for…and who is leading it?
View in flyer form as a png or pdf

Please signal boost the Empowermentors Collective!

Use these posters to share and spread the word.

On liberalism, assimilation, and multiculturalism:

We are not just another diversifySTEM™ organization aiming to integrate “minority" groups into the so-called “open source" community. We are creating our own space. We combine a critical passion for technology and digital media arts with our work towards POC empowerment, disability justice, decolonization, queer liberation, prison abolition, the destabilization of patriarchy, and other struggles we share.

Learn more and join us:

This is not a space for white allies. We do not (yet) have plans for such a space, but appreciate any support and help spreading the word!

Wiki page

Mailing list

Chat room (#empowermentors on Freenode)

Read More

--
Board of Directors, Free Culture Foundation: www.freeculture.org

Web: kxra.info  -  StatusNet Microblog: http://identi.ca/kxra
Email: kxra freeculture org  -  SMS: +1.617.340.3661
Jabber/XMPP: kxra riseup net  -  IRC: kxra @freenode @oftc @indymedia