Re: [gnome-women] Few quotes for a Conference in Brazil

Hi Izabel!

That's great! Thank you for doing this talk at the conference!

We currently have 15 projects within GNOME participating in the outreach initiative. Along with each project, there is one or several mentors who would be happy to help anyone interested in contributing to the project any time throughout the year.
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen/OutreachProgram2011#Participating_Projects

There is also a general GNOME Love initiative that is meant to help the newcomers orient themselves within the GNOME community.
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove

You might find the suggestions in the "Application Process" section about how to select the project useful for sharing with the audience.
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen/OutreachProgram2011#Application_Process

It's good to explain all the communication resources we use in GNOME. Encourage people to sign in into IRC early and to read Planet GNOME. Explain that a lot of information about GNOME projects can be found on the live.gnome.org wiki and that people can look at the Recent Changes there to see what pages have been recently updated. Explain that people can browse the code and change log for any project within GNOME on http://git.gnome.org/browse . Talk about Bugzilla and about the mailing lists archives being available online.

Also, I was recently helping with an excellent Open Source Workshop that Jessica McKellar and Asheesh Laroia from OpenHatch organized. It really reminded me how many concepts one needs to learn to participate in the free and open source software development. Their installation instructions and slides might give you more ideas.
http://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Workshop

Please feel free to share your slides before the talk if you'd like some feedback or after the talk, so that we can all learn from them and use them in the future!

Thanks!
Marina