[gnome-women] Call for Participation in FSCONS 2009

Dear all,

please find below the call for participation in this years Free Society
Conference and Nordic Summit, taking place for the third year in the
row in Gothenburg, Sweden the 13-15th of November 2009. We've
traditionally had quite a few interesting talks on GNOME and related
subjects, and would be more than happy to have such this year as well,
as well as talks on the subjects listed in the call. I hope that this
would be interesting to all of you, and would welcome your
participation!

                Call for Participation

       Free Society Conference and Nordic Summit
       Gothenburg, Sweden, 13-15th November 2009

                http://www.fscons.org/

  Introduction

The Free Society Conference and Nordic Summit (FSCONS) is a meeting
place for social change, focused on the future of free software and
free society. The growing speed of new and innovative changes taking
place within digital culture, as well as the pressing need for members
of a marginalised society to gain access to important and updated
information without financial or governmental barriers, means that the
2009 FSCONS will deal with an array of hot topics.

Open discussion and brainstorming are two of the primary factors that
pave the way for change. The conference seeks to engage, inform and
motivate social change through these discussions. The essential goal
of FSCONS is expansion: expanding the accessability of digital and
technological information to everyone in the world; expanding the
interest and promotion of free culture and free software; expanding
the opportunities for all interested parties from around the globe to
engage with others in hopes of changing the future of digital culture.

   Participation

For this years conference we're looking for talks on a number of
different issues or projects (both full-length and lightning talks),
but we're also looking specifically for workshops to be held during
the conference, or in the week before as pre-conference
activities. All proposals that are submitted will be reviewed by
members of the community before the programme committee makes the
final decisions regarding what proposals to accept into the programme.

In order to submit your proposal, please go to FSCONS 2009 Submit
Proposal at http://submit.fscons.org/proposal This form is to be used
for your own submissions. If you have ideas of other people you want
to listen to, please feel free to suggest those in the FSCONS 2009
Wiki at http://wiki.fscons.org/. When you fill out the form, we would
like to ask you to provide the following information. Please keep in
mind that the title and summary may be read by community
reviewers. When deciding on the appropriate timeslot, please calculate
about five minutes for questions and answers by the audience, as well
as five minutes for changeover. For example, a 45 minute talk will be
35 minutes of presentation, five minutes for questions and five
minutes for switching to the next speaker.

    * Author name(s)
    * Contact Information
    * Participation type (Talk, Workshop or Other)
    * Preferred timeslot (10, 30, 45 or 90 minutes, or other time)
    * Title of proposal
    * Summary of proposal
    * Intended audience

For workshops, we are flexible when it comes to scheduling it and you
can give suggestions for this in the summary. Participants will be
able to register for the workshops when registering for the
conference, and the number of participants in each workshop will be
limited to the capacity of the rooms.

   Important dates

The deadline for submissions is the 21st of June 2009. Accepted
proposals will be notified as soon as possible after that date, but at
the latest on the 26th of July 2009.

If your proposal for a talk is accepted, we would like to ask you to
submit your full presentation in PDF format at latest one week before
the conference. If your presentation will include audio or video
material, we would prefer to receive those in Ogg Theora and Ogg
Vorbis formats, so that we can make sure that they can be played
during the presentation. We understand that not all would be able to
give their presentation as PDF, or have other technical requirements
that needs to be addressed. Please note those in your proposal, so
that they can be taken into consideration when planning your session.

    Topics

We're looking for topics that relate to Free Society or Free Software
generally, as well as those which are at the crossroads of the two or
which take the philosophy of Free Society and Free Software and brings
them to a whole new field. It's impossible to list all possible
topics, but to give you some ideas of what kind of topics that those
attending the conference previous years would have liked to see more
of, as well as those suggested for this year, here's a sample of
potential topics:

    * Social and Societal
          o Networking culture and collaborative development
          o Free Culture in Art
          o Journalism in a Free Society
          o Women in Free Culture and Free Software
          o New Perspectives on Innovation
          o Economics of Free Software and Free Culture
          o Free Software in Schools and Government
          o Free Culture and Free Software in Developing Countries
          o Open Standards
    * Technical
          o P2P and Filesharing Technologies
          o Blacknets and Darknets
          o Linux kernel development
          o Any Free Software Project
          o Open Hardware
          o Digital Security
          o Usability of Free Software
    * Legal issues of Free Software and Free Culture
          o Freedom of Speech and the Internet
          o Digital Rights on a Digital Frontier
          o Censorship online
          o Fair and Equal Treatment in Public Procurement
          o IPRED, ACTA and other laws and legal instruments
          o Licensing culture and software
          o Patents
          o Anonymity on the Internet

--