Re: [gnome-women] Round of introductions

Hi:)

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 21:12 -0400, Marina Zhurakhinskaya wrote:
> Running another women outreach program is a very concrete way of
>  getting more women contributors, and I'd like to ask you to review the
>  current ideas for the program on the wiki and share any feedback you
>  have.
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen/OutreachProgram

Well, the one thing that I thought of is it's programming-centric. If
it's going to be based on GNOME shell you might want a designer or a
docs writer maybe? Just an idea.

> This also sounds like a great time for re-vitalizing the Women in GNOME
>  community. So I would like to propose we do a round of introductions.
>  The first bullet point on the GnomeWomen wiki page is "providing role
>  models by increasing the visibility of active women in GNOME" and I
>  think it is a particularly effective way of attracting new
>  contributors. By sharing what we love about our involvement in GNOME,
>  we can show that it really is a women-friendly environment and serve
>  as a starting point of contact for women who want to get involved.

Unfortunately I'm not quite as involved in GNOME as I used to be, just
for lack of time. :( I'm an interaction designer with Red Hat and I do a
lot of UI mockups, user research, and sometimes marketing stuff too.
Lately I've been really involved in doing these things for Fedora
specifically (although when I do rich-client mockups they are always for
GNOME using the HIG :) ), but in the past I have worked on things like
the GNOME brand book and template for the site that's currently in use
at gnome.org, and some various artworks and things like that.

As a designer my favorite thing about GNOME is the design awareness that
is part of the community - rarely do I have to get any GNOME developers
I work with up-to-speed becaues they already know their stuff and
already recognize the value of design. I can dig in and get working
without having to argue design's case - folks are already sold. :)

Are there any designers or folks interested in design and usability on
the list?

~m