Re: [gnome-women] What's the plan?

I'm really glad to see we're doing something focussed to encourage female participation in Gnome. :)

On 29/05/2006, at 2:24 AM, Murray Cumming wrote:

1. Track the numbers:
We need to know the gender percentages in the GNOME Foundation every
year, so we can roughly measure our progress.

It looks like this will happen:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/found

Potentially awkward. :(

We need to make gender recording optional: some people aren't happy with being told to log their gender, and some don't fit in the binary male/female classification.

A checkbox item like:
_________________

We are keen to make GNOME an environment where gender doesn't define your opportunities. In doing this, it really helps if we know who's participating: we can evaluate our program and improve it. You don't have to give us this information, but we'd really appreciate it if you would. Thankyou. :)

Gender stats

I identify myself as

[ ]	male
[ ]	female
[ ]	currently neither
[ ]	I do not wish to give this information

We know gender is a spectrum, including many very complex situations which we don't really understand well enough to describe here. If you can help us make GNOME a friendlier place for people like you, please email gender_all gnome org
__________________

We could do a one-off
survey now.

As long as you're careful and considerate about the gender spectrum and privacy, as above (which is only an approximation: somebody can probably do it much better than I can), it could be useful.

2. Special treatment:
- Persuade existing GNOME developers to give extra time and patience
to potential female contributors? I have very little time, but I'd be
prepared to dedicate some time and be unusually (for me) patient for
this good cause.

Funnel it through Gnome-women and a mentors listing. We can refer people to you and help support them.

- Create a wiki page with lists of potential mentors (and their areas of expertise), and potential people to be mentored? This would be good
for the male contributors too, of course.

Good in general. We discussed this on Ubuntu-Women recently, and were concerned that anyone listed as a mentor is recommended personally as having the skills and attitude needed.

  - How do we avoid this looking like a place for men to find women?
Would a code of conduct help?

YES. Plus a procedure for reporting and managing breaches of it.

I created a general mentoring page.

Good start. :)

Hopefully it will fill up:
http://live.gnome.org/MentoredProjects
But the above questions remain.

OK, I've added myself (mentor for female translators). This is part of something I'm doing through the network of women-in-computing groups, and hope to continue for some time, through a number of practical applications of our work. I'm happy to focus part of that at Gnome.

3. Code of Conduct?
GNOME should probably have a code of conduct like Ubuntu's. It would be
a quick way to stop a lot of noise (which is offputting for all), we
could specifically discourage some obvious anti-female behaviour. As
well as outlawing the worst examples, it could advertise us as a place
where women might be able to avoid some of the behaviour they
anticipate.

Definitely.

4. Role Models:
  Publicise existing female contributors and new female members once
they are established.
  - Make sure they are on Planet GNOME?
  - Make sure they are speaking at GUADEC?
  - Articles in GNOME Journal / gnomedesktop.org?

Anything that publicizes our participation. Example is very motivating. The Profiles page at Debian-Women is a good example of this sort of work.

http://women.alioth.debian.org/profiles/index.en.html

I've read in an FAQ somewhere that some women are put-off by some of
these things - treating women differently from the start, and pointing out the few women who are involved. But we can't please all the people
all the time, and I don't see how to take action that isn't in
contradiction to something, and I don't see how we can make things
worse.

I think most of us would much rather be anonymous. We often, um, hide behind male or non-easily-gendered names so we won't be classified. This isn't only about avoiding hostility, but also about personality: we're not public people.

However, there is a real need for rôle-models here, so we need to work up some courage and step forward.

I can't appear anywhere like GUADEC, since I'm bedridden and can't travel, except electronically ;) , but I'll do what I can.

What's our timeline on GUADEC now? Maírin and Anca, we could combine some of this discussion with our paper (we need to get that started).