[gnome-women] What's the plan?

I sent this to gnome-women gnome org instead of gnome-women-list gnome org
Trying again with some updates.

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 22:56 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> So, following up on useful discussion arsing from my blog entry
> http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2006/05/12/women-in-open-source/
> what do we do to get more and better female involvement in GNOME? It
> feels like an emergency to me, yet GNOME should be the solution to this
> kind of problem. I'd like to help if someone could lead the effort.
>
> My thoughts at the moment are:
>
> 1. Track the numbers:
>   We need to know the gender percentages in the GNOME Foundation every
> year, so we can roughly measure our progress.

It looks like this will happen:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/found

> We could do a one-off
> survey now.
>
> 2. Special treatment:
>   - Persuade existing GNOME developers to give extra time and patience
> to potential female contributors? I have very little time, but I'd be
> prepared to dedicate some time and be unusually (for me) patient for
> this good cause.
>   - Create a wiki page with lists of potential mentors (and their areas
> of expertise), and potential people to be mentored? This would be good
> for the male contributors too, of course.
>   - How do we avoid this looking like a place for men to find women?
> Would a code of conduct help?

I created a general mentoring page. Hopefully it will fill up:
http://live.gnome.org/MentoredProjects
But the above questions remain.

--
Murray Cumming