Re: [gnome-women] Getting Involved in GNOME

On 28/06/2005, at 1:57 AM, Hanna M. Wallach wrote:

I recently found out about Getting Involved
(http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam_2fGettingInvolved), the GNOME
Marketing Team's new project, which aims to provide (better)
information on getting involved in GNOME. Some of the things they plan
to do include:

* Look for the more inclusive concept of "contributors" rather than
  the more restricted term "developers".

* Make sure programmers understand why GNOME is a great platform and
  community to develop software, where the help is needed and how to
  start contributing.

* Make sure that all willing contributors but non-programmers
  understand as well that there is a place for them and a plenty of
  exciting things to do and share.

Sounds like this is something highly relevant to GNOME Women, and
worth keeping an eye on, if not contributing to.

As a very new Gnome-Woman who has just crawled in the door <peels off shrinkwrap, itchy..> I think this sounds like an exciting and possibly overdue move.

We'll certainly get much more participation, and a broader range of it, if people know that anything positive and useful is welcomed. We need to get out of people's heads (including our own) the thoughts "I'm only a user", "I only do patches sometimes", "I'm only a translator" "I could only run a discussion group, I don't really know anything" which really hold back people from contributing their definitely valuable skills and experience.

I hope it works well. :) I'll start inside my head: it needs updating badly.

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc