unclear documentation about .desktop file icon location

Dear web-list members,

I am completely new here and it is not clear to me where I should mail my comment/question to.
Anyway, I am unable to find clear documentation about the installation of the icon used for .desktop files.
The documentation on the gnome-website states that I should place the icon in the location /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/.
However placing a 48x48 pixels.png icon in that location did not result in the menu item to show the icon. Actually, I tried to fix the 'icon no show' problem after installing the application 'cherrytree', which puts a .svg icon in the location /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/. After 'researching' the problem for quite a long time I finally found that placing the icon in the location /usr/share/pixmaps/ fixed the problem. Subsequently I was not able to find any gnome documentation on the location /usr/share/pixmaps/. To prevent others spending their time on researching this issue would it be possible to revise/clarify the documentation?
I would be happy to do it myself, however I don't know how the icon lookup works (I am learning to code, but I am still a novice). A (comment on) revision or any help on revising it myself would be highly appreciated. Thank you...

Daniel