Notification should be displayed explaining why an extension cannot be installed, and an override option should also be provided

Hello,

I am writing to you because I have tried to install many extensions in the past which have not been compatible with my version of GNOME (from https://extensions.gnome.org/), but after pressing the "On/Off" switch in order to install them and pressing the "Install" button, nothing happens, I don't even get an error message explaining why nothing happens.

So I think that if one tries to install an extension which is incompatible with their system or there is some other problem which is preventing the installation, the user should be notified and not just left confused about why their installation didn't work.

I also have found many extensions which even though don't have it in their metadata.json that they are compatible with my version of GNOME (3.18), they are and work fine with it if I just add my version number to that file, so I think that there should also be an override option which enables users (though it should display a warning to them saying it may not work and could potentially break something) to download and install an extension anyway even if it does not claim to be compatible in the metadata.json file (so that one can just add their version number in there and try and get it working - which hasn't gone wrong so far in my case anyway). And an override function would be much easier than having to locate the source and then compile it manually.

Kind Regards,

Nikita Yerenkov-Scott

--
The world is filled with electronics.