SocialDNS

Dear Gnomers,

I am Lluis Pamies JUarez, a PhD student at the University Rovira i
Virgili (Tarragona).

In our research group, we have been working on an open source project
that may be of interest for you. The project is called SocialDNS
(www.socialdns.net) and  it has the idea  to create an open and
decentralized infrastructure for WebTLDs. We resolve names under a new
URL handler (go://) thanks to browser plugins (Firefox and IE). In
this line, you could register web domains and TLDs  (go://gnome) and
this would redirect you to your http://www.gnome.org site.

Furthermore, if you install the server software in your site, you will
be able to manage your own TLD and assign subdomains
(go://nautilus.gnome,  go://icaza.gnome). The WebTLD is also a search
engine and a comunity portal for your domains. Note that domain
assignment is free and that the software is completely open source.
Furthermore, we want that name assignment and conflicts resolution
become an open and user moderated process. We are open sourcing the
name assignment process in the go:// namespace.

Please, consider visiting our site and registering your own WebTLD.
Cities, companies, organizations, users and even ICANN TLDs are now
entering the system. You can also see a sample WebTLD running in
http://webclouds.org  or go://p2p. We are encouraging free software
communities to join the SocialDNS network.

Contact me for more information.

Best regards,

--
Lluís Pàmies i Juárez