Re: Future website infrastructure? Internationalization considerations...

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 09:39 -0500, Christopher Warner wrote:

> Also, we should look to comparing apples to apples in terms of content
> management. All sites and/or content aren't created equal, the Debian
> project doesn't have much dynamic content and sadly it's not organized
> in any professional manner. Whoever are the persons doing the Ubuntu
> site seem to be using Plone/Zope all over the place; those are potential
> contributors. In-fact, it appears launchpad.net is completely
> Zope/Plone.

This is something of a tangent since Plone is Zope2+ while launchpad in
the example is Zope3+

Launchpad is Zope3 libs actually--it is a very customized installation
of Zope. Zope3 has very good i18n/l10n support. The UI (template and
view code) uses gettext to create a PO template. Standard PO files are
used. Launchpad is not localized at this time.[1]

The content is a separate problem in Zope3. Launchpad reads the
Accept-Language header in the request, with a fall back to geoip. If the
user has configured a preferred language (a Launchpad addition), the
site will use that instead. If you want a proxy for the l10n content,
some work is needed to get the proxy the read Accept-Language, or the
language should be incorporated into the URI.

I believe most of what I state is applicable to Plone since the
developers have kept been incorporating the Zope3 features as they
become viable in Zope2

[1] This is a personal disappointment of mine. I worked on making the
Answers application i18n ready because it promises that users can ask
questions and get answers in their native language. Asking a questions
would be easier if the UI was in your native language.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.