www.gnome.org: Adding 2nd-level menus

I started trying to make a version of gnomweb-wml that has the new
structure and content that was agreed during the development of the
Plone system.

But I noticed that the existing www.gnome.org doesn't have any
second-level menus, such as you see here on the right:
http://tinyurl.com/5do472

I don't need all the styling right now, but I do need a way to put the
same menu on a page and all its children. Can anybody recommend a clean
way to do this?

I could have separate SSI include files for each second-level menu, but
I'd end up then hard-coding the same HTML markup (though not the CSS),
making it difficult to change them all if we later chose to structure
them differently.

Or I could use the old developer.gnome.org tree.in system, though it
seems quite hacky. It needs the same small snippet to be in each
Makefile.am file, calling a script to process the tree.in file to put
result in  the generated .html file.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com