nautilus desktop icons bug

I have some icons with long file names. Sometimes I unintentionally end up with completely illegible icon labels and overlapping icons. I have created a snapshot of my intentionally horrific example.

This problem is easy to reproduce when working with file previews (irregularly shaped images) and icons with long file names. Just create some and drag them close together, paying attention to not trigger the a file move event.

I have noticed what I consider to be a related problem. When I remove a file from my desktop or a new icon is added as a result of some program adding an entry, the desktop isn't refreshed with autoarranged icons. I have looked and looked and can find no way to make this my desktop's behavior. I think this is terrible UI from a usability standpoint. I will attach the image showing the problem.

i am using hardy heron 8.04.1 and this problem persist, please fix it, I observed the same problem when I sticked two removable media (a usb hdd and a usb-stick) into the usb ports and when I mount my windows xp partition, Ubuntu overlapped desktop icons in a very ugly way.