Re: library.gnome.org status

Hi Frederic,

I saw your blog post (http://www.0d.be/2007/04/16/lgo/, my blog is not
included in planet.gnome.org so I can't respond you via blogosphere). As
I said before, it will be nice to have someone to work with on
library.gnome.org code so take this as a welcome!

There are several big problems with libgo:

- XSLT styles (locators/gtkdoc/gtkdoc.xslt and locators/gdu/gdu.xslt)
are not producing markup acording to mockups. Main problem is that there
is no navigation sidebar. I also don't know how to include list of
languages avaibile as some languages can fail to build (maybe script can
try to build all languages first and then reprocess them to include
language selector, but that is far from optimal solution)

- There are no index files for browsing documentation by module or GNOME
release, and removing old content on upgrade is totaly broken. There are
small XML chunks (index.LANG.xml) in output that include informations
like localized document title and abstract. My plan was to parse them
after building is done and regenerate index pages. Index pages should be
localized, and generated for each language avaibile.

- Each tarball is extracted two times (once for gnome-doc-utils docs and
other for gtk-doc API's). I am working on this. Generaly, I'm adding new
class for each documentation source (GNOME FTP, GNOME SVN, etc) and then
each locator (gtk-doc and gdu) can subscribe to some items at source.
This way, content of each source is accessed only once. Also I'm adding
global XML file representing content at source so upgrades can be
handled easily. See http://goranrakic.com/tmp/library-web/design.html
for some early specs.

- There is no SVN driver. There is viewcvs driver (using HTTP GET and
can work with ViewSVN as well) and jhbuild (using jhbuild checkout) but
no SVN driver. Subversion has Python bindings so I think it is not that
hard to make svn.py with same interface as drivers/cvs.py

If you agree, I suggest to plan a meeting at IRC or IM (Jabber:
gox elitesecurity org) and decide on roadmap. First thing on a list is
the biggest problem for me.

Cheers,
Goran