Re: Empowering product Website in bugzilla

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 14:01 +0200, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> I you mean classic bugs I could agree, meaning software errors. It is
> different with more soft errors and feature wishes.

Basically I mean errors in our websites, things that don't work as
expected and need to be fixed.

> I think a page
> like: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Goals is also something what
> classically has been handled by bug or lets say issue management
> software.

GnomeWeb goals are like subprojects that have a lifecycle of 6 months at
least and several requirements in terms of planning, execution and
documentation. It's not worth to go through the goal process if you want
to suggest a small improvement in a web page. Instead, request an
enhancement via bugzilla. And viceversa, if you have in mind i.e. a new
GNOME web service a bugzilla bug is probably not the right place to
discuss, plan and execute it.

> I think one of your goals is not loosing information but we also have
> to consider that people always will put information where they feel it
> fits. So I think we always have to do some work in translating
> informations or discussion points.

I agree in the principle. However, it is helpful to have an official
channel and procedure to communicate bugs and features to the web team.
We need to be fully responsive to the feedback provided through the
official channel, and we will be do our best to manage the feedback got
through the rest of channels. Now we don't have a clear policy and a
good amount of feedback is not dealt properly.

> So back to your point I think bugzilla could be THE thing for those
> bugs that qualify as REAL bugs. I think we will never be able to make
> a perfect distinction. but maybe we can make a page where we discuss
> what we consider as a "bugzilla-ready bug"?

Why not consider all bugs ready for bugzilla?

If someone has an exception then let's discuss it. You mentioned the
GnomeWeb goals. I hope now it's clear the difference between the average
bug and the average goal.

--
Quim Gil /// http://desdeamericaconamor.org | http://pinguino.tv