Re: Our docs online

I see that your using the standard idea of table of contents and links - etc.  Curious - how many people actually click throught the TOC (table of contents) as opposed to just getting to the docs via search?  I'd love to understand the thought behind using TOCs..eg do people actually just read a TOC in a book or do they flip through a book or look at the index?

I think it looks fantastic btw.

~laprug

On 3/12/06, Claus Schwarm <c schwarm gmx net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 11:37 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> >
> > This really puts us to shame.
> > Go to http://www.gnome.org/support/ and you find the
> > user guide for.... 2.10!!!!!

Joachim, please note: Three months ago, there wasn't _any_ link to the
documentation on the main page. It was the number one question in the
FAQ: 'Where are the user guides?'

We already made progress! :-)

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 11:54:45 -0600
Shaun McCance < shaunm gnome org> wrote:

> I'm CCing gnome-web-list.  Somebody there should know
> how we can put your excellent work (and Brent's great
> PDFification) online.

Since the older docs are subpages and -directories of

http://www.gnome.org/learn/

but they are not in the CVS tree, and I couldn't find any redirect, I
guess someone's uploaded them manually or there's some makefile magic
hidden somewhere in GNOME's small CVS tree.

There's also a bugreport about a wrong file for the accessibility guide.

If anyone from the webteam got an idea how this was done, and if anyone
from the docs-team is able to say how the HTML docs and tarballs were
generated, we might be able to make progress here, too! :-)

Cheers,
Claus