Re: Suggestions for library.gnome.org features

Goran Rakic wrote:
Hi,

Hello!

[snip]
I think that user annotations are a must, and based on first comments,
users will like the idea. Annotations can be anchored to paragraph,
image, list item or a table, function or constant definition in API
references and can contain text, lists, links and remotely-hosted
images...

I agree with you 100% here.   We need to find a way to let our users
share information with each other, and annotations are an excellent way
to do that.  I remember always looking at the PHP documentation, and I
always loved the fact that there were user contributed comments at the
bottom of a particular function's page.  Having comments inline would be
even more awesome and even allows us to gain some insight into how our
APIs/applications are being used.

[snip]
offending or inaccurate annotations. Remember, annotations will not be
displayed on default, and user must subscribe to some other user's
annotations to view them so there should not be many deletions to do.

Can there be some mode where we can view all annotations?

[snip]
What I am unsure is if there is a need for grouping subscriptions, with
group editing support. This will be out of plan for first release, but
there would be nice if I can include initial support in underlying code
as soon as possible. Then, users will be able to create an
InsertYourDistroHere group, or group for specific locales and join their
annotations together, making easy for other users to see relevant
annotations.

That would definitely be a cool feature, perhaps annotations can support
tags and we could aggregate annotations based on a collection of tags?
(thinking Administration, Usability, Ubuntu, etc.  as examples of tags)

[snip]
The other solution for this problem is to implement annotations tagging,
with "tag masters", coordinators that can approve/deny inclusion of
specific tag to annotation. It is better as one annotation can have both
language and category(ies) tag(s), and other users can subscribe only to
specific tags on specific language(s). Languages list also can be loaded
from browser preferences, as a default value, but as annotation manager
is server side script, it can have additional customization for
overriding browser settings.
[snip]

Oops, guess I should have read further before replying.

Thanks for all your work on this, I very much look forward to this
finished product.  If you need guidance or advice/help, please let me
know.

Best Regards,

--
Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net>