Re: List of GNOME applications

This DOAP thingy looks good, is it the way to go?

> The first question is thus: What is an official GNOME app?

I don't know, but I know the users want to know.  :)  Users might look
for applications "being part of GNOME", "recommended by GNOME", "fully
integrated to GNOME".

GNOME is the recognition brand. Which applications are inside the circle
and which ones are out (and what you need to have in order to be inside
and how could you be put outside if you donpt accomplish them).

In fact a small but very interesting subset are "GNOME applications you
can run on MS Windows / Mac OS X". This information is not easy to find out.

> The second question is: Why did you overlook ;-) the projects listing
> from
>
>  http://www.gnome.org/projects/

I didn't overlooked it. I assume it's one of the pages in the future web
structure.

I believe the page we are looking for is an evolution from this. It
needs some work (i.e. clearer descriptions and perhaps a reorg
differetiating end user apps like Pan from developers' stuff like
Pango..) but yes, at least we have it.

A question though: how can a user reach this page?

> However, it's not the responsibility of the web team to care about the
> web pages and promotion on all the various sub-projects of GNOME, IMHO.
> I prefer to think of
>
>   http://projects.gnome.org/
>
> as a sort of independent entity. It would obviously get a sort of front
> page that lists all projects.

Agreed. It is our responsibility to set a common infrastructure and even
some recommendations, default procedures etc. From that point it's the
developers' reponsibility, although if there is a list of points that
could make a project not be part of GNOME I would add "unmaintained
website and related information in the official project list".

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org