Re: *.gnome.org common header - content and form

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 13:19:23 +0200
Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> About subsites like Evolution's, my opinion is that any website being at
> *.gnome.org/* needs to have by default the *.gnome.org common header. If
> you are an official GNOME project, you are hosted in the GNOME servers
> and your URL is gnome.org/something this is the logical and consistent
> approach. This is a clear line drawn. If a real GNOME website/webmaster
> is unhappy with this (like Olav with bugzilla.g.o) then we can discuss
> the exceptions.
>
> [...]

I'd like to note that I disagree. ;-)

There are many projects hosted by the GNOME servers. Many of them are
not in one of the official GNOME packages. They just happen to have an
account, probably because of bugzilla.

These project may attract users from different operating systems. These
users don't search for a desktop, but for applications. The concept of a
"desktop" is usually unknown and confusing to most people. They are used
to the rule "one operating system <=> one desktop".

Do we examplify our usability orientation by adding a global header on
all project pages, making it possible to indeed click on one of its
links and then land on some completely unknown territory ?

Most users of a project web page want to be informed about the
project's solution to their problem, IMHO. If I visit evolution's web
page I want to know how they are going to solve my emailing troubles. I
don't care about a "desktop".

I can also see this from a GNOME Journal point of view: Our visitors
want to read interesting stories. Hopefully, they found their way to
the GNOME Journal from a high-traffic web site unrelated to GNOME or
even Linux.

If they get interested in what GNOME is, there's always a link to
www.gnome.org. If they don't, it doesn't matter. At least, they will
have heard the name once when they encounter Linux, again. They will be
aware of the brand GNOME. This is sufficient for a start.

If the GNOME Journal, however, displays a global header, users may
accidently click the wrong link and land somewhere within, say
developers.gnome.org. Will it be helpful for them? I don't think so.

We already have a rather similar header on our main community sites.
Instead of dicussing something that will solve _not a single problem_,
we should try to get real stuff done. IMHO, of course. ;-)

Cheers,
Claus