Press release

Hi all,

This press release went out (through the OSC, but it's a joint release) yesterday, ahead of schedule. Could we get it added to the press section of wgo as soon as possible, please?

Thanks a lot,
Dave.

BEGIN:

GNOME PARTNERS WITH THE OPEN SOURCE CONSORTIUM

The GNOME Foundation, a leading open source organization and the provider of the GNOME desktop environment and the GNOME development
platform, is partnering with the Open Source Consortium (OSC), the
independent voice of the Open Source business community in Europe.
GNOME will join OSC's Community Advisory Board, and work with the OSC
to promote the Open Source desktop.

The move reflects the GNOME Foundation's support for the work of the
OSC. Examples of such work include the OSC's involvement with the
recent BECTA announcement concerning the future of Open Source
solutions for UK schools, and involvement with the Open Source Academy
initiative, which promotes adoption of Open Source software amongst
the public sector and is funded by the Office Of The Deputy Prime
Minister.

Says Owen Taylor, chairman of the board of directors of the GNOME Foundation, "The GNOME Foundation welcomes the opportunity to collaborate with the OSC and increase adoption of Free and Open Source Software in public administrations in Europe. We are excited about the value we can bring to governmental organisations through the OSC"

OSC members will benefit from the closer working relationship with the
GNOME Foundation, including information sharing, GNOME presence at OSC
events and the GNOME Foundation's long experience in Open Source. The
GNOME Foundation expects to benefit by working with OSC to promote
Open Source desktop software as an alternative to proprietary
operating systems in the European public sector.

For his part Mark Taylor, Executive Director of the OSC welcomed Owen's
comments adding, "The GNOME Project are known to the entire Free and Open Source Software community for their usable, high-quality desktop. We look forward to our joint collaboration in advancing the free software desktop in Europe."

About the GNOME Foundation

Comprised of hundreds of volunteer developers and industry-leading companies, the GNOME Foundation is an organization committed to supporting the advancement of GNOME. The Foundation provides organizational, financial and legal support to the GNOME project and helps determine its vision and roadmap. GNOME is an entirely free user environment for desktops, networked servers and portable Internet devices. The modern architecture and design of GNOME includes a technically advanced application development platform and a powerful end-user desktop environment. Major leading software industry and computer manufacturers support the GNOME development effort, which is led by a worldwide community of volunteers. More information on GNOME is available at www.gnome.org.

END
--
Dave Neary
bolsh gimp org