Re: Drupal as candidate to be challenged

En/na Jeff Waugh ha escrit:

> The invasiveness of the i18n module concerns me (sufficiently enough to not
> use it immediately for The Fridge) as an impediment to keeping Drupal up to
> date.

In Drupal 4.6 (the current dummy site) the i18n module implies 2 patches
in 2 modules + 1 modification in the mysql database, tha you need to
track manually.

In Drupal 4.7 the core Drupal has opened a door to the i18n stuff, and
this module module will be installed and deinstalled without patches,
just like any other module. The core Drupal won't be touched by this
module and you will be able to do any upgrade as usual.

> I'm also not convinced that wgo actually *needs* Drupal. From all plans so
> far (previous and current), it's a very small site that requires little in
> the way of dynamism itself (it can easily include feeds from other places
> where it makes sense, such as news on the front page, press releases, etc).

What do you recommend, then?

Dynamism is not the most relevant factor to recommend Drupal. Easy
publishing, editing and translating is. Getting users, knowing them and
offering to each profile what they look for is.

The same Drupal installation can also handle and integrate other areas
beyond wgo currently unexistant or unattended: CRM, events, locales,
projects' websites and community interaction.

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org