Re: Drupal as candidate to be challenged

Hi,

Le jeudi 29 d�mbre 2005 �7:12 +0100, Claus Schwarm a �it :
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:36:50 +0100
> Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
>
> > Localisation was my last concern about using Drupal for the wgo
> > management. After seeing how the i18n module works, I have no more
> > concerns. In my opinion Drupal has proved to be the best candidate we
> > have so far.
> >
> > I suggest from now on we consider it our platform for the wgo revamp.
> > The debate is still open and if there are unsolved concerns they need to
> > be discussed. But at least it would be good to have a default candidate
> > to be challenged by better proposals.
> >

> I do have a few concerns! Maybe I just miss a few things. However:

A lot of your concerns are about the current status of the test website,
but not about drupal. I think we should keep in mind that the test
website is not complete :-)

>  * Why do the links look so strange? For instance,
>
>       /index.php?q=en/214-releasenotes
>
>    I believe this should be
>
>      /en/214-releasenotes
>
>    in the final version, right?

I agree. It's only a matter of web server configuration, though.

>  * What about all the existing links, then? Will they break?

Important question. We probably want to do redirects everywhere ;-)

>  * Where's the functionality to make donations? See
>    http://www.gnome.org/friends/

We can keep it as is, or maybe there's a drupal module for this?

>  * Where's the functionality to make a bounty list? See
>    http://www.gnome.org/bounties/

Same answer.

>  * Where's the functionality to show votes? See
>    http://foundation.gnome.org/vote/votes.php?election_id=1

Same answer.

>  * Where's the event table which was one of the rationales for the
>    change to dynamic pages? Or do I mix something here?

It can be implemented with drupal, I think.

>  * Is there a way to make page feedback?

Probably doable with drupal.

>  * Why is the language navigation so prominent (on top)? As a users,
>    I'm not interested in how many langugages the page is translated in.
>    See the bottom of http://news.google.de/news?ned=us for a good list,
>    IMHO.

It's just the way the test website is and there's no reason to keep it
as is.

>  * Is there no way to get rid of the expendable trees?

Same answer.

>  * Why are there news on the front page -- or why is it looking like
>    news? Who's going to write them?

Same answer.

>  * Do we really want comments on our front page?

Same answer.

>  * Does a potential visitor really care about who's online and who's
>    new?

Same answer.

>  * Why's there a 'log-in' and a 'create content' link, that is shown to
>    visitors?

Same answer.

>  * What about all the wgo/project/* sites? Are they going to be
>    integrated and if so, how?

Good question :-)

> I admit the language functionality you describe sounds really nice!
>
> However, the list is long enought to be careful about declaring Drupal
> to be "the platform for the wgo revamp!"

:-)
I'm not sure that drupal is the way to go. It might be or it might not
be. But since I don't have time to look for a better solution, I'm happy
to see things moving forward :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�