Re: apps.gnome proposal

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:01:58 -0800 (PST)
Sri Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:

> Good question.  How about throw some people at hte problem and see what
> ideas come up?

Well, do you know anybody who will be happy about getting thrown at something? :D

If so, what ideas is he or she supposed to have? I mean beyond
a) rewriting something existent, or
b) writing something new, or
c) don't do anything at all? ;)

If he or she will vote for a), what could we use? Ask freshmeat? They say 'No'
in their FAQ, and, btw, freshmeat looks outdated with packages nested ínto a
five or six levels deep structure. LinuxLinks? Similar problem: packages hidden
six levels deep. IceWalkers? Looks nice but doesn't fit into any GNOME page
design, and at least some levels deep.

What is left? A forum package, a bookmarks collections package, a clanwebsite
package, a CM package? Whatever that may be, it will mean a major rewrite, don't
you think so, too?

Then, on which of those possible packages should we agree upon? We didn't even
talk about possible or necessary features of a apps.gnome web page. And we would
need to scan the code of all those possible packages to find out if there's one
we could eventually use, at all, and which one promises a minor rewrite, only.

In short, it looks like the condition of using an existing solution -- althought
absolutly reasonable -- is irrelevent because for every problem it solves, it
introduces a new one.

Meanwhile, I'll go for b) using existing classes. I have a basic template system
working already (FastTemplate class if anyone is interested), and will upload
the next version of the mockup when the MySQL connections are working, too.

Or is there anyone voting for c) ?

Regards,

Claus