Re: Polishing the CVS application page

On 25/07/04 01:58, Owen Taylor wrote:

I don't really like making cvs.gnome.org the home for content; it's
not on the web machine, we don't have any management system for the
content there, and there's even been discussion of not running a web server there at all. (it should be possible to run viewcvs/lxr/bonsai on widget)
On the subject of getting Bonsai up and running again, note that viewcvs provides pretty much all the features that Bonsai does if the checkin database feature is enabled.

If Bonsai is difficult to set up, it might be worth considering using the equivalent scripts from viewcvs, which were pretty easy to work with last time I tried. As a bonus, viewcvs uses the same database schema as Bonsai, so it would be possible to set up bonsai to query the same database as viewcvs afterwards, if wanted/needed.

As far as moving viewcvs off cvs.gnome.org, that shouldn't be a problem given that the CVS repository is NFS mounted. If we wanted to enable the checkin database, the only part that would need to run on cvs.gnome.org would be the loginfo hook script (which could update a MySQL database on www.gnome.org, if that'd fit in better with the admin policies).

James.

--
Email: james jamesh id au
WWW:   http://www.jamesh.id.au/