Re: Gnome.org needs major improvement

On 17 Jul 2004, at 19:30, Robert McMeekin wrote:

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:44 +0100, Martin Alderson wrote:
It is a pretty sad affair as of now, with no focus on any elements of
the site and really bad design and usability practices on the site.

The main issue it seems is that there is a lot of information for
developers on a page that should be for end users? (Hey, when you say it
that way it really doesn't sound like the end of the world.)

Fine, if it should be a developer site, it's a choice you should make. I feel it's a mistake though - developers won't mind clicking on developers.gnome.org or whatever and bookmarking it. Making Gnome.org exceedingly developer-orintated will put off many people from Gnome and therefore cost future users and developers.

The font is also a size too big for the homepage. Not a big issue but
severely stops you putting more on the home-page.

They aren't setting the font size, you are.

Let's stop being pedantic. The 'default font is also a size too big'. 99% of users won't change the font size in their browser because a) many browsers don't let you easily and b) most sites don't use relative font sizes.

Another problem is how you edit the homepage, which I think is way too
hard. Designers are not good at programmer style CVS commands, and
programmers are not good at design. Simple as that, in general, please
don't make designers use CVS.

I don't agree at all--many designers seem to work out well with CVS.
the current GNOME website, for example, is very pretty.

While design is very much your (and my) tastes, I don't think it stands out. Apple.com, Mozilla (while also bad usability-wise, it's quite nice too look at) and even some of Microsoft's sites are very nicely designed.

You are also missing my point -- I was simply saying a lot of talent will (and probably already has) been lost because of this system, not what the current site has achieved.

Martin

Martin Alderson,
IntechHosting

Email: martin intechhosting co uk