Re: New index.html-- any objections?

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 14:19, Robert McMeekin wrote:
> Aaron Weber wrote:
> > Contrasting color, well... I dunno.
>
> Would it be better to have the foreground and background the same color?

Wouldn't zero contrast be hard to read? ;)

> > Steve Hall wrote:
> > > o Right justified (balanced)
> > > o Right justified (not obscuring the background image)
> >
> > But the fit I agree with. Why right-justified?

The idea is a graphical balance: the gnome logo on one side, a
title/zippy thingy on the other and beautiful space across the breadth
between. At one point the left counterbalance was text links, making it
a rich equal-but-different thang, which worked at any resolution.

> If you're going to have the title text left-justified and fitted, you
> may as well graft it onto the background image.

I suppose you're right, although at one point the notion was
flexibility. Compare:

  http://www.gnome.org/friends/
  http://art.gnome.org/
  http://developer.gnome.org/
  http://www.gnomedesktop.org/
  http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/
  http://planet.gnome.org/

and even:

  http://www.gnome.se/
  http://www.gnome.de/

Oh, well. If we're in a remake mode, why not question some assumptions?

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]