Re: New index.html-- any objections?

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 13:30, Steve Hall wrote:
From: Aaron Weber, Jan 6, 2004 11:52 AM

> There's a mockup of www.gnome.org/index.html up here:
>
> http://www.viralata.net/gnome/top_page_mockup_v10.html
>
> Aside from the mention of the 12/31/03 deadline (which we should of
> course delete, now that it's past), does anyone have any objections
> to this page?

Generally, the page rocks, except for the header title ("The GNOME
Project") through the header image simply does not work:

o Black text, without outline, shadow or any other separating haze is
  nearly impossible to read over any background image with colors
  darker than about "#eeeeee".

As long as it's big, it's close enough, and besides, it only repeats the page title. It's not important content, really.

o Use of a variably sized object within a fixed size space is asking
  for trouble:
  * For me, the "j" decends out of the header (Win32, Firebird 0.7,
    normal size font)
  * Readibility can easily be lost when other objects are re-arranged
    around the title. For me, the title overlaps the navigation text
    at IE's "largest" font setting.

That's not perfect, true. I tend not to worry as much as other people do about font sizing-- no matter *what* we do, at some point, someone is going to have a font that makes things unreadable. I mean, if they put it in Klingon 28 there's not much we can do to stop them. But you're right that we'd be better off with an absolute image size there.

o The whole point of the design is the contrast of the header image's
  spatial quality against the page body's 2D quality. Splotching text
  across the header is at best graphically insensitive. ;)

As far as I am concerned, the point is "better than what we had up earlier." :)

*Please* consider placing header titling the way it is done at

  http://www.gnomedesktop.org/

that is:

o Scaled absolutely
  * Fit and position
  * Unaffected to browser zoom level
o Right justified (balanced)
o Right justified (not obscuring the background image)
o Contrasting in color
Contrasting color, well... I dunno. But the fit I agree with. Why right-justified?

have to add that the top nav
links are spaced too far apart and suffer wrapping problems at small
res/large font.)
Good point. We need to address the sitewide topnav; I think jdub's new design will include that.

Also, you may notice that the topnav is not the same as the topnav for the rest of the site; how do you like this choice of links and order? Should we put this on the rest of the site's topnav, or go back to the older topnav?

a.