Firing up some discussions (without flames) about translating *.g.o sites

Hi all!
This is my first post to the list, so I will be presenting rapidly. I
will be rapid for 2 main reasons: I like to get to the point fast and
its almost 2AM here.
I am a Computer Science student, writing from Italy, interested in
whatever concerns web development. I am joining this list for 2 main
reasons (yes, I love to be schematic): I volunteered to help manage
it.gnome.org and I visited this page [1] and opened all the different
languages pages in new tabs.
The main problem I noticed is that a common UI is missing. gnome.org
presents itself in consistent way, it.gnome.org in another one,
*.gnome.org in one more. In my opinion, all sites of the form
www.LANGCODE.gnome.org should be a _translation_ of www.gnome.org.
With translation I mean, same content (translated of course), same
graphics, same place for links. Sites of the form www.gnome.LANGCODE
should be free to follow whatever design they like, since they are not
subdomains of gnome.org. I had no time yet to check how the whole
Web-Thing at gnome works, so this proposal could be really stupid or
unaffordable. Forgive if the issue has already been discussed, but I
felt the need to post this message now for the fear of forgetting all
ths impressions (the period till Xmas is going to be really hard and
busy for me). As I am really busy these next 2 weeks, I wont be able to
join on IRC, which I hope/think I will be able to do from January. Is
the discussion on #webhackers more active than here? If yes, is there
anyone willing to log/report main discussed issue here?
Thanks for your attention, I hope not to have bored you,
flevour

[1] http://www.gnome.org/contact/