apps.gnome.org proposal

jdub, et al:

I think we could make apps.gnome.org operate based on some simple blog
principles.  The owner of app.g.o is responsible for maintaining the
list of feeds that we aggregate.  Each project will manage its own site,
and provide a RSS feed that summarizes the app.  app.g.o will generate a
page that provides a brief introduction to the app, and link back to the
home site for additional information for users and developers.

If RSS wont suffice because we need to be strict about the app.g.o
content, we could consider RDF, but I think we should see how far we can
get with something simple.  I think we need in each feed:

App name
keywords
short description
long description
list of features
1-5 thumbnails that link to full images
home page
download/installation options
maintainer
developer contact information.

The aggregator will organize the apps into a directory, I image more
than a single page.  The aggregator will provide consistent presentation
to all the apps.  By keeping the pages simple, Google and a local search
engine should serve us well.  The owners of each app can update their
information without a GNOME CVS account and changes can be made on their
schedule.  We don't need an app server/publishing system running on our
machines.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.