Re: contact page content

<quote who="Curtis C. Hovey">

> Should the content be restricted to *.gnome.org?
> No http://www.gnomesupport.org/.  In the case of news.gnome.org (which I
> found a link to), we now link to http://www.gnomedesktop.org/.  Ximian
> hosts some lists.

I think limiting it to gnome.org is a good idea for the moment - there'll be
a fair bit of stuff there as it is. Perhaps links to other 'unofficial'
GNOME people/places could be on a separate page?

> Should the content be restricted to just email?
> No irc or lists.

Nah, I think we should put some info about GimpNet up there, and perhaps a
few channel names just to help out newbies, plus a link to mail.gnome.org
(which we'll have to improve too at some stage) with some description of how
we use mailing lists.

After the, hrm, 'official' GNOME contact points, these are all very
relevant for people trying to find out how to contact 'GNOME' -> most of the
time they don't know what that means, so they'll need all the help they can
get working out where to go.

> Should the content be more specific?
> No applications, less development.

Links where appropriate, like mail.gnome.org. A related page that needs to
be done is the 'Getting Involved' top level - quite a lot of that will be
contacts details and links too, so we can link to that in the Contacts page
later on, and keep Contacts pretty focused.

> Should personal email addresses be on *gnome.org?
> I found a lot of personal addresses in the developer projects.

I'd prefer to focus on 'contacting the GNOME organisation' for this page.

> Should email addresses always be presented in the same style?
> They are written a lot of ways on *gnome.org, not all of them are
> linked.

Up for discussion. I'd prefer to link, but lots of people hate giving spammy
screen scrapers an easy target.

> =======================================
> foundation, contribution, and membership
> ---------------------------------------

Probably just a "GNOME Foundation" section, with major contact points, and a
link to the site?

> =======================================
> bugs, accessability, and usability

> documenation and translation

> development
> ---------------------------------------

This class of contact points should probably end up being a link to the
Teams section of the Getting Involved page. Perhaps call it "Developers and
Contributors" and we'll link it up when GI is ready?

> =======================================
> support
> ---------------------------------------

Hmm. Not strictly "Contacts", but obviously useful. Some of this stuff is
community user-oriented support, some of it is GNOME developer support. I've
been talking with Gavin Brown about getting a dynamic FAQ/KB system in place
- perhaps we will end up having a top level support page with links and info
for users anyway.

Perhaps, in the mean time, this is best left to the user start page (which
is not well-loved atm)?

> news

Most of this will be front page stuff, probably not worth putting in
Contacts.

Thanks very much to Curtis and Alex Duggan for taking this on!

                        Lego is the plural of Lego.