Re: Searching for GNOME User Guide

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 18:34, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> I searched google for the following terms: GNOME user guide
>
> I got the following results:
>
> Hits 1,2,3 point to a version of the UG that is quite old (1999).
> Hit 4 points to gnome.org/learn, which is good, but not ideal.
> Hits 5 and 6 point to the UG for GNOME 1.4.
> Hit 7 points to mail.gnome.org
> Hits 8 and 9 point to user guides for the General NOAA Oil Modeling
> Environment (GNOME)!
> Hit 10 points to a user guide for GNOME for RH Linux 6.1.
>
> Of Hits 11-30, none of them points to a manual later than 1.4.
>
> If I specify the version of GNOME, then the correct user guide is found.
> However, I can't imagine too many users will expect this.
>
> So can we do anything to ensure that more recent versions of the user
> guide are found by a search like this?
>
> Eugene

Probably

-> Kill all copies of the really old one?
-> Link to the new user guide more prominently

Tweaking google search results is really quite hard, though. The best
thing IMHO is to hype the user guide more (maybe in a section of major
release announcements), so more people link to it.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"If we eventually have the ubercool component system - based on Bonobo, or
something else - then great, we can then proxy it over IIOP, D-BUS, SOAP,
and morse code." -- hp