Re: Web Standards and the new layout

<quote who="Brian Kerrick Nickel">

> It was just something I heard on Footnotes about search engines reading
> top to bottom for search relevance. Honestly, I don't think Google uses
> metatags.

You can ignore that entire thread on FootNotes. It started off badly, and
got much worse. :-)

> > In fact, [...] regression now. ;-)
> Fair enough, I stand corrected.
> However, I just remembered the wonderful world of CSS @media, which
> would be ideal for cleaning up/tweaking pages for various media types.

Would love to add custom changes for media (especially printing), but
unfortunately none of this helps with the markup issues.

> > Actually, lots of pages do, because the content is exactly the same as
> > it used to be with the old design (only the layout was changed), which
> > had hideous graphical headers on every page.
> I'm just thinking about maintaining a well structured document. Every
> non-HTML document you produce in your life has a main header, so why not
> the HTML ones?

Don't worry, I'm not disagreeing here, just giving you more information as
to why it is the way it is.

> I chose the gnome logo because it is in every page of the
> web site. Naturally pages *should* in most cases also have individual
> heading based on their individual purpose <h2 />
> eg.
>  <h1>GNOME Development Site</h1>
>  <h2>gnome-vfs Documentation</h2>

I disagree. We ought to use <h1> in the manner you've described <h2>. I
don't think there's any point wasting the header on information that is
provided elsewhere. You could provide structural context with the <title> if
absolutely necessary, but I would be worried if the <h1> weren't context
enough.

> > Not sure what you mean by 'pair' here, say again?
> Sorry, a <dt/><dd/> pair.
> padding, but thats just a dd{padding-bottom:10pt;} .

Which page is this on? It's certainly not done with the current w.g.o or
d.g.o templages (and the navigation area is static for the time being).

> > Not the sighted leading the sighted again? ;-)
> Only sometimes. We tend to be zealots over the whole table issue.

Heh, no problems on that front, then. ;-)

Get Informed: SCO vs. IBM                            http://sco.iwethey.org/

    "If your life was a movie, would you pay to see it? Would you pay to
                see an advertisement for it?" - James Morris