status of news.gnome.org

As many of you have noticed, gnotices is now offline.

This was because Zope ran the widget.gnome.org out of memory
twice in a 12 hour period and I got fed up.

The setup is

 * http://news.gnome.org/gnome-news/rdf points to a fixed RDF
   page with a single item pointing to gnomedesktop.org

 *  All other URLS on news.gnome.org redirect to index.html,
    which is a fixed page, which says:

     Gnotices discontinued
     =====================

     news.gnome.org is not currently operational. We hope to add new
     content here soon to replace Gnotices. Until then, you can check
     out FootNotes on gnomedesktop.org, an excellent user-maintained
     GNOME news site.

If anybody is interested in any of:

 * Fixing the main page of www.gnome.org

 * Making the index.html prettier

 * Investigating whether

   a) Nautilus and evolution can handle the RSS feed on
      gnomedesktop.org/backend.php
   b) Nautilus and evolution can handle a redirect to
      a different URL

 * Bringing up Zope on a different port, dumping all the content
   statically, and redirecting article accesses to the static
   dumped version.

   (If you do this, *please* monitor your job so it doesn't
   run the box out of memory, go into infinite loops, eat
   up 20 gigs of disk space, etc.)

   [ We get *lots* of hits to news.gnome.org off of google, but
   it isn't clear that they are doing people much good. (Sometimes
   they are on things like "pango font aliasing" other times
   on things like "themes" "npr+mp3", "free+usenet", or
   "fashion+lady+nude".) ]

Feel free.

Regards,
                                        Owen