Re: help with new bugzilla

From: "David Fallon" <davef tetsubo com>

> As a part of the upgrade of bugzilla.gnome.org to the 2.16 code (the
> latest bugzilla release), louie and I would love to fix an
> outstanding design issue, and would like feedback on any
> improvements that can be made on the site. The main issue is that as
> it's setup, all the tables are fixed with, rather than percentages
> of window. When porting it over, I didn't mess with the setup 'cause
> I'm no good with html. So, if anyone's interested in helping with
> that, or anything else to make the site look better, please email
> me. The current port exists at
> http://steel.tetsubo.com/bugzilla-2.16rc1/ - any feedback on issues
> would also be appreciated. Note that this is my home machine, so
> please don't stress-test it. :) Once I can find a gnome sysadmin who
> isn't busy, we'll put the port up on widget in
> bugzilla.gnome.org/beta or something, but it's not there yet.

Dave,

Previous traffic on this list has proven that I am unable to resist
a good multi-browser HTML challenge. Especially when it involves CSS,
which I was "forced" to add as part of my solution to your bug search
page re-work request:
  http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/query.htm

A fair amount of trickery is required to get Moz, NS4 and IE all
rendering reasonably. Many (but not all) of the changes are summarized
at the bottom of this mail. The document validates and renders pretty
well in 800 pixels for IE and Moz, but takes about 980 for NS4. It
looks fine up to 1600 in all three.

About the only comment I'd make at this point is that the file is
<scottish>friggin' huooge</scottish>! (105K, compared to the 118K of
the original!) Removing whitespace from line beginnings reduces it
only another 5K. Even so, at 56k, the bug search page takes about
a minute to load. Would it be too much pain and suffering to split it
into two pages? Are there others that need rework?

Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]
--
Try Cream in your Vim... it takes the bitterness out!
  http://cream.sourceforge.net

changes -- query.htm

Dynamic Width Changes

* Change all table widths to "100%". At least 23 tables had no widths
  or were pixel-fixed.

* All 'align="right"', left and center statements removed.

* Specify all form select boxes and inputs with 'style="width:100%;"'
  parameter for auto widths. All three major platform browsers are
  able to handle it.

Basic Formatting Changes

* Added character encodings declaration.

* Do not use <th></th> tags. Performance is anomalous in most

  rendering.

* Add &nbsp; characters to align some dialog box widths.

* Definition list at Email and Time Information is insane, remove.

* Fieldset and Legend tags in Email and Time Information is equally
  insane. Use tables.

* Extra table definitions (without rows or cells) in the "Advanced
  Querying Using Boolean Charts" table second from bottom.

  <h3>*</h3>, etc..

* Title case title.

* Fanatical re-indenting at random locations.

* Recoloring and styling of title bars on boxes. Reference new
  TD.titlebar style placed in header.

* Massive rework of bottom Actions box. Now more visually coordinated
  with other boxes.

* Relocated "Help, give me a clue" plea to top of page where it
  belongs.