Re: Site Structure, con't.

Calum Benson wrote:
Ed Hart wrote:

At first I agreed with moving "Search".  After considering for some
time, I believe it is in a good place for the Site Map listing pages.

Well, perhaps... usability studies do suggest that more and more people
head straight for the search box when visiting a site rather than using
the carefully-designed navigation(!), but I guess if they've arrived the
sitemap then they've already opted not to use the search facility on the
homepage.
I agree with your reply and was the foundation for my change of mind after considering the placement in the list.  Also, since GNOME is about free software and user interface I felt It best to keep the part about where to purchase stuff at the end, and the "Search" link just before.

Steve Hall wrote:

"Shopping Resources" is also nice because it communicates
content off site. But it's a bit long. Would "Shopping" be a
disappointment when you realized you couldn't buy anything directly
from www.gnome.org?

"Shopping Links" is a little shorter... or "Where to Buy"... or
"Merchandise"... I dunno, what links is it actually going to point to?

Cheeri,
Calum.

"Shopping Links" and "Where to Buy" are standard phrases used on many pages and sites.  Some other examples that hit close to home are:

Slackware references the "Slackware Store site".

KDE lists only "KDE on CD-ROM" - services to acquire CD's from, also "Explore Everything Else" which lists books and tee-shirt sites/resources.

Redhat uses "Store".

Debian lists in their site map "Debian Merchandise" which can lead you to www.debian.shop.com, cafepress, thinkgeek, etc.

SUSE lists shop and can lead you to "Gear 4 Geeks" which even has inflatables.

Take your pick.  If whatever is used does not sound right after being published, then let's change it to something at that time.  All seem okay by me and apologies for my grammar.