Re: Status and whats the staus?

<quote who="digitect mindspring com">

> *** Bottom line: are we doing server-side detection? ***
>
> I feel like we're skating around this issue--can we do it? It's done in
> the industry *all the time*, but do we currently have the skills on this
> list to accomplish server side detection of browsers in order to deliver
> the appropriate template/CSS/graphics back?

*boggle* Yes of course we *can* do it.

> 1. If so, then multiple HTML/CSS combos, graphics, JS is easy, why are we
> arguing for simple template simplicity? Maintainability? It's not really
> that contrived ATM. Just two work arounds for NS4.
>
> 2. If not, why have we assumed it for so long? This template
> design/approach is stupid without server side detection, I agree.

It's just been assumed because people thought we were going to be doing an
inane dynamic-everything system.

I'd just like to see more thought put into simplifying the current design,
in terms of browser-applicability, graphics, etc. The foot is a good example
because it's a pretty-only thing, it doesn't actually enhance usability at
all.

I'm not really attached to the current specific design and implementation,
but everyone agrees that the general look is good.

     "Everyone's a little queer, why can't she be a little straight?" -
                           Weezer, Pink Triangle