Re: Status and whats the staus?

From: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
To: gnome-web-list <gnome-web-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: Status and whats the staus?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:59:39 +1100

Hmm... missed this message some how. My comments...

> <quote who="Steve Hall">
> > From the very beginning I thought the list was in favor of server-side
> > detection. If this is no longer the case, then we truly have bigger fish to fry.
>
> Again, I'm attempting to say, "Can we get to this point?" so that we're all
> thinking about ways to simplify. I'd love to be able to do it, but know that
> it's not realistically possible (browsers suck too much).
>
> [snip -- lots of other stuff]

*** Bottom line: are we doing server-side detection? ***

I feel like we're skating around this issue--can we do it? It's done in the industry *all the time*, but do we currently have the skills on this list to accomplish server side detection of browsers in order to deliver the appropriate template/CSS/graphics back?

1. If so, then multiple HTML/CSS combos, graphics, JS is easy, why are we arguing for simple template simplicity? Maintainability? It's not really that contrived ATM. Just two work arounds for NS4.

2. If not, why have we assumed it for so long? This template design/approach is stupid without server side detection, I agree.

If we can't do server-side detection, then I will readily agree that all these templates have been a waste of time and will re-design a single HTML/CSS combo that will work for everything. Obviously, there's a ton of concessions from the current look, and I can't promise it this week.

> [snip -- other points]

No point in addressing this stuff until we agree on the main strategy.

Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]