question about cross-browser (i.e., old netscape) DHTML

So... I'm thinking the Next Step for bugzilla usability and power for us
is going to have to involve dynamic bug forms that are extremely simple
by default but then allow the page to dynamically expand to a more
traditional, powerful format without reloading the whole damn thing.

Problem: Roughly 1/4 of our hits are from NS3->NS4.7. [1] So anything
I/we do has to fail fairly gracefully in older versions of Netscape. Is
there any hope for this to happen without doing javascript-y version
detection? Or am I going to have to do something nasty-ish?

Better yet, is anyone (other than Steve and Jeff- they need to be
getting their butts in gear on the new site, dammit ;) volunteering to
help out? It should be an interesting challenge for anyone good with
this type of thing, and hopefully not too ime consuming.

Let me know (on the list, no need to reply-to-all...)
Luis (and many thanks in advance, of course...)

[1]Other numbers: Another 36% are from Mozilla/5*, 15% from gnome-vfs
(this is bug-buddy), 16% NS4.0, 10% Mercator (?), 9% NS4.5, 4% NS4.7, 3%
NS3, 3% NS2(!), 1.7% from Google(!), 1.4% from Opera, 0.70% from
links|Links|lynx|Lynx, 0.81% from *onq*, 0.6% from non-google bots,
0.024% from IE, 0.018% from nautilus. Note that all of these numbers are
utterly rough[2]- cat agent* | grep blah | wc -l.

[2] So if anyone has a suggestion for a freestanding agent log analysis
script (I was too lazy/tired/sick-ish to write one myself) please let me
know ;)