It's Status Time Again!

Hey all,

Sorry I've been out of earshot a bit, very busy with work things. It seems
everyone has been, so I'm in good company. :)

Some cool work has been going on in the last couple of weeks. Steve Fox has
added more features - including the RSS feed - to the new Software Map, and
it's looking very close to install time. Check it out here:

  http://gnome.foxhut.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php

Steve 'digitect' Hall has posted some more purdy pictures... So purdy that
Miguel was overcome with delight at the designs that Steve has been putting
together! More title bar backgrounds, and more CSS work:

  http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/index.html

Possibly more disturbing, Steve has been coercing Netscape 4 into playing
nicely with CSS. We're not yet convinced enough to abandon the original
two-version plan (one table layout, one CSS), but Steve is trying his
hardest to make it work... Perhaps we should start a 12-Step program for
this kind of behaviour? ;)

There are more requests for features and sections on the website. Greg
Leblanc forwarded a request from Dan Mueth for a GNOME Directory. It's small
things like this that will make our new web site complete - if you hear
grumbling about what the site currently lacks, please post comments to the
list! Steve Fox was fast off the block to set this one up:

  http://www.gnome.org/resources/directory.html

[ Steve Fox and Christian are the two people most familiar with the old WML
setup, so we will have to rely on their help with these changes until the
new site goes up. Their knowledge will come in handy when migrating, too. ]

Maciej Stachowiak posted to gnome-hackers about setting up a Bugzilla
category for the website. Products for d.g.o and b.g.o already exist, but it
seems that a single product for the rest of the subdomains / sections may be
appropriate.

John Fleck will be coordinating the porting and API documentation for GNOME
2.0, and has posted his plans (see the thread below). Working with John and
Dan Mueth to come up with a suitable information architecture to host these
documents is very important to a successful new d.g.o.

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers-readonly/2001-October/msg00064.html

Joshua Eichorn has posted some encouraging benchmark results of his caching
system. 254rq/s to 985rq/s is a pretty big jump, and that's only for a
simple page. With the goals we have in mind for the use of XSLT, this kind
of lightweight caching will help immensely. You'll find his results here:

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2001-September/msg00095.html

We need a todo list! There are so many areas of the site that we have to
keep track of now, we need a record of requirements to sanely tackle them
all. Please post todo list items to the list for addition to a document on
the webhackers site. We may want to split this up into groups of goals - IA,
graphic design, construction, documentation, etc.

Lastly, we have a good little team working on the site now. We've all been
here for the first couple of attempts, and I think we're pretty dedicated to
making it happen. This is way cool.

Swoit. ;) Any updates or comments, please post.

   "I look forward to someday putting foo-colored ribbons on my homepage
   declaring 'port 25 is for spam', and 'just say no to the Spam Message
                   Transmission Protocol!'" - Raph Levien